Hub North non-essential construction sites to restart
Posted on June 12, 2020
Construction Scotland restart plan moves to Phase 2
Hub North Scotland can confirm that its non-essential construction sites, which were closed under COVID-19 restrictions, will restart work on Monday 15th June in accordance with Scottish Government guidance.
The move follows the announcement by First Minister Nicola Sturgeon that sites can now proceed to Phase 2 of the restart plan developed by Construction Scotland on behalf of the industry. Phase 2 allows a ‘soft start’ on sites where physical distancing can be maintained and follows earlier COVID-19 site planning and preparation works.
Fraser Innes, operations director for Hub North Scotland, said the decision to restart on Monday had been taken following discussions between clients and Tier 1 contractors for each of the sites.
He explained: “Our contractors are following the guidelines to ensure the sites have the appropriate hygiene and safe distancing measures to resume work safely. Our clients have been kept informed of all the steps being taken.”
The industry restart plan is a six-phase blueprint to support a gradual return to work, when the medical evidence supports it:
- Phase 0 – Planning
- Phase 1 – COVID-19 pre-start site preparation
- Phase 2 – Soft start (only where physical distancing can be maintained)
- Phase 3 – Steady state (only where physical distancing can be maintained)
- Phase 4 – Steady state (where physical distancing can be maintained and/or with PPE use)
- Phase 5 – Increasing density / productivity
The Hub North Scotland sites restarting are:
- Alness Academy. Client: The Highland Council. Main contractor: Kier Construction
- Dunoon Primary School. Client: Argyll and Bute Council. Main contractor: Morrison Construction
- Lossiemouth High School. Client: Moray Council. Main contractor: Balfour Beatty
- Linkwood Primary School. Client: Moray Council. Main contractor: Balfour Beatty
- Inverurie Community Campus. Client: Aberdeenshire Council. Main contractor: Robertson Construction
In addition, Hub North Scotland also has two sites for community hospitals, which are being delivered on behalf of NHS Highland, in Aviemore and Broadford on Skye. Our main contractor Balfour Beatty has continued construction on those sites during the restrictions after they were declared essential critical infrastructure projects.